This was dinner tonight, and it was Deeee-licious!
How I made my seafood chowder - you should know up front that I had no intention of making chowder when I shopped yesterday - so any recipe I referred to (I read 3) in making this was for inspiration only - the result was dictated by what I actually had in the fridge.
- Chop an onion, fry in a butter/oil mix in a heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Add in a peeled and chopped golden kumara (recipes called for potato, but I had surplus kumara, so I used it - and liked the result)
- add a sprinkle of oreganum
- add fresh chicken stock, use the whole bag (ha! fresh as in purchased from the fridge at the supermarket!!!)
- add a dash of nutmeg and cayenne pepper to taste (and I used a pinch of mineral salt - a free sample from Sabato the other day)
- boil until the kumara is cooked through
- while step 6 is in progress, whisk together about 3/4 of the pack (don't ask me the size!) of creme-fraiche and a similar amount of low fat milk, and 4 tablespoons of plain flour (I actually only used 2 here, but then had to add 2 more at the end, better to do it here!)
- add chopped snapper fillets & fresh scallops
- cook briefly
- add the cream/milk/flour mixture and stir
- add a generous handful of chopped fresh parsley
- gently heat until suitably thickened
- serve, garnish with a touch of fresh chopped parsley and enjoy!