1 bunch fresh coriander, including stalks
3 large carrots - peeled & grated
1 large kumara - peeled and chopped into about 8mm square chunks
Brown lentils (I was planning on using red, but only had brown in the end), about 1/2 cup I guess
Salt & Pepper
- Finely chop the coriander stems, sauté these in olive oil until fragrant, remove & set aside.
- Finely chop onion, sauté in olive oil, add the carrots & kumara, stir, add water (750ml - 1 litre).
- I waited for it to start simmering before adding the well rinsed lentils. Season with salt & pepper. About 20 minutes later, add half of the coriander leaves.
- About 5 minutes before the lentils are cooked (which takes about 45 minutes - but I taste test rather than timing it), add the cooked coriander stems & juice of half the lemon.
- Check the lentils are cooked & serve. Top with the remainder of the coriander leaves and a slice of lemon. We had it with bread, but it wasn't really needed. Quite hearty enough with all those lentils!
Credits: for inspiration - I read this about a week ago, but didn't refer back to it until now!